Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Mpow AquaPro speaker

  For a small speaker the Mpow AquaPro puts out quite a loud volume. The speaker will fit in your hand quite easily. You get a USB charging cable and a 3.5 mm cable if you do not want to connect by blue tooth. I used three devices to test the speaker they are the iPod Touch 5, Nexus 7 and my Lumia 640. Each device easily paired to the speaker, just look for Mpow AquaPro on your blue tooth list. The audio reproduction is quite nice, you can hear each instrument and vocals, the actual sound of the speaker is a little lacking. The highs are a bit too much, they have that "tinny" sound and when you turn up the volume the high end gets too be ear piercing. The mid range is a nice punch, clean, clear and crisp, just what you would want from a speaker this size. The bass. or low end is there but it is a bit muted, it does give that thump but it is held back, the high end does over power the bass.
   I am guessing that the design of the Mpow AquaPro is the reason why the bass is lacking, there is no bass port and the speaker is only an inch and a half thick, so there really is no room for the bass frequencies to expand to give you that BOOM. Not too mention that this speaker has a IPX7 waterproof rating, this means that the speaker can fall into three feet of water and still work, so the waterproof design does affect the sound as well. Despite the lack of bass and the high end being what it is I do like this little speaker, it is small enough to travel with, take in the shower or just have it sitting on a counter or table and it takes up little room. From no sound to full volume I counted 14 clicks and I found that on the 8-10 is the best sound from this speaker.
    The Mpow AquaPro does have a feature that I find interesting, right next to the charging port is a SOS button. When held down the speaker will turn on a warbling sound that yes is annoying but that is the point. If you need help or in some kind of trouble press that button and the sound will attract attention. The speaker is built tough, I dropped it a few times from 3 feet to about 7 feet high, besides a few scratches the speaker held up and kept on working. I used it a few times in the shower as well, I made sure that water did hit the speaker and I must say it performed very well. no change in sound at all and yes it is still working. I will caution you though make sure that the flap covering the USB port is properly secured before getting it wet. Taking and making calls were easy and crisp and clear, I did not experience and dropped calls, interference of loss of volume.
   Battery life is really good, Mpow claims playtime is 8 hours I got about 7 and a half, but I did have the speaker turned almost all the way up, so just remember the louder you turn up the volume the more power the speaker uses which means shorter play time. Charging the speaker took about 2 hours and to me that was not all that bad. The blue tooth range is your average distance, I got 31 feet before the signal started to drop. Outside usage was a bit different than in my house. I found that I was able to hear the music quite a distance away due to the high end being the way it is so that is a plus as well. This little speaker is not really for tailgaters or back yard parties it is designed for personal use and will fill a room with sound. To me I wish there was a bit more low end produced by the Mpow AquaPro, I like a good deep thump while listening to my music. Overall the Mpow AquaPro is a good buy, great for backpacking, at the beach, working in the garage well you get the idea.




No comments:

Post a Comment