Thursday, March 17, 2016

Mpow MLens V2 Fisheye/Marco Lens

    The Mpow MLens V2 is a big lens for your phone. You will find that you just might have to use two hands while using this lens, one to hold your phone the other to hold onto the lens. While you are using this lens you will see the black border surrounding the subject, but with 180 degree angle you get quite a lot in your shot. Be careful if you are holding the lens that high degree of angle it just might pick up your hand(see picture below). The lens itself is an all metal construction and is built very solid. The clip is plastic but does not feel cheap it too is solid, you will find rubber padding on the clip where it comes into contact with your device, the spring, made of metal, is strong, at first I though it would press on my screen to hard but it did not. You will have to center your devices camera on this lens, the back lens is about 1 inch wide.
   If you want to use this lens for macro shooting, look where the word macro is printed, that is where the lens un screws to reveal the macro function. When I un screwed mine it was a bit tight, I really had to give it a good bit of force to get it loose. The rubber grip helped(see picture below). Despite the black box or barrel affect I enjoyed using this lens. It was fun to use my imagination to get interesting shots, it made me think about how the shot would come out and in doing so it made me take my time, which is a good thing. Picture quality is good, the center of the shot is clean and crisp but as you look to the edges the quality degrades. The edge of your picture will be a bit blurry, fuzzy and a little dis colored. If you take the price into consideration the quality is not all that bad, yes there are some fisheye lenses out there that are crystal clear but they do come with a hefty price tag.
   The macro lens is a joy to use, I was able to get within a half inch(sometimes less) of the subject and got some really nice shots, once again the center of the picture is crisp and as you get to the outer edges you will see a bit od distortion but not as pronounced as the fisheye. You can also get pretty darn close with the fisheyes lens as well, I was able to get within a half inch on most subjects and the shots were acceptable to fantastic. As a nice touch Mpow included a really nice cloth pouch to carry your lens in, it also doubles as a cloth to wipe away dust or fingerprints. You get a front and rear lens cap, the front is a spring loaded cap just like the DSLR's use and the rear cap is threaded. The Mpow MLens V2 has a thread size of 37mm which means that if you can use this as a add on lens for your camera as long as it has a 37mm thread.
   The Mpow MLens V2 is a really nice lens to shoot with, as I mentioned before it makes you think about the shot and that can get your creative juices flowing. Yes it is a bit heavy but I would rather have an all metal construction than plastic. The main thing that really holds this lens back is that the clip is to shallow, it only has a one inch depth, I was only able to use it on two devices, my iPod Touch 5 and my Nexus 7, the clips depth was to shallow to use on my Lumia 640, Mpow should have added another quarter of an inch or half an inch depth to the clip so all phones could have been accommodated, also if Mpow could atleast reduce the distortion around the edges a little that would definitely help. All in all this lens was fun and a joy to shoot with, I found myself taking a bit more time setting up the shot, looking at different angles and distance, it brought some fun back into shooting with my iPod.









No comments:

Post a Comment